Getting your own home is one of the most liberating feelings in the world. No longer do you have to deal with the annoyances that come with apartment living or shared living. Your space is your own. But with claiming your own space comes responsibilities. While you can call the maintenance person to deal with your problems in your apartment, it’s up to you to keep your home safe and make the calls when things break down.
There may be a time you need to call in a mold remediation specialist. Their job will be to remove the mold from the premises. You’ll want to do it immediately, but perhaps you’re wondering where you’re going to stay while they work on the mold problem. Should you stay at home while the job gets done, or should you go to stay at a hotel or with family? In short, it’s not a clear yes or no answer.
What Makes Mold Dangerous?
As mentioned above, you’ll want to get mold growth under control as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the greater the problem will become. The mold that’s left to grow can cause medical issues for you, your family and the family pets down the road. It can also do permanent damage to your home and end up costing more in the long run.
Can You Stay in Your Home While a Mold Problem Is Being Mitigated?
It depends on the situation. Some experts say that you don’t have to leave your home during mold remediation. They consider it a personal choice. On average, with a crew of workers, the mold removal job can take five to seven days. From here, they’ll go through the process of rebuilding and cleaning up the areas where the mold was.
Many mold remediation experts will isolate the infected area. They’ll clean the area with air scrubbers, making sure that the mold spores don’t escape the work area. This process, of course, is meant to help keep you safe.
How Safe Is It?
On the other side of the debate, there are experts who believe that it’s best for you to leave your home for several days. Letting the professionals complete the work will keep you out of harm’s way and speed up the process.
In some cases, chemicals are sprayed during the process. If you’re allergic to the chemical components, you may want to leave for the cleanup process regardless. In these cases, you’ll want to leave and add some additional time before you return, by about three or six hours.
Your best bet, however, is to consult the air quality specialist who will be coming to your home. Ask them any questions you may have about the process and they’ll give you their opinion on whether staying or leaving makes more sense.