Summer is a great time for outdoor activities like bonfires, grilling, and fireworks. Knowing what to be aware of and how to maintain safety around fires can help prevent the need for restoration construction in the future. Here are some fire safety tips to help you have a safe and fun summer.
5 Safety Tips For Cooking Outdoors
- Cook in a well-ventilated area.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing while cooking outside as it can catch on fire or you can get burned.
- As tempting as it may be, do not spray lighter fluid toward a pre-lit grill as the fire could cause serious burns to you or others close by.
- If the flames on the grill get too big, do not throw water onto the grill but cover and close off any ventilation to the grill to reduce the oxygen producing the flames.
- Never leave your grill unattended and keep pets and children at least three feet away for their safety.
6 Campfire Safety Tips & Tricks
- When building your campfire, place it downwind from your tent with plenty of space in-between. To contain your fire and keep it from spreading to your surroundings, clean away any foliage or shrubbery, dig a pit, and surround it with rocks.
- Keep all flammable fluids away from your campfire.
- Avoid building big fires as it is they are harder to control and maintain.
- Never leave a campfire unattended.
- If you need to put your fire out, first splash water on it, then cover it with ash and dirt and douse it with water again.
- Know how to Stop, Drop, and Roll.
General Fire Safety Tips
- At no time should you ever throw a lit cigar or cigarette onto the ground or out of your car, because it could ignite the flammable vapors fuming from your car or ignite arid vegetation.
- Fireworks are always hazardous so it’s best to: follow the directions and warnings for igniting fireworks, keep a safe distance once ignited, and keep a fire extinguisher and some water ready in case something goes wrong.
Experiencing fire damage and not sure what to do next? Call Entrusted.
Entrusted is specialized in fire mitigation and restoration construction. To minimize damage to your home, it is important to begin the restoration process immediately. We have experienced professionals on-call 24/7 to respond to every fire emergency. Call now for a free assessment.